About the collegeThe Indian Institute of Management-Bangalore
, also known as IIMB is a business school located in Bangalore. It has been ranked as one of best business schools in India and the Asia pacific region. It was founded in 1973 as third IIM after IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahemdabad through a society created by Government of India. It was inaugrated by Mrs Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India. The Karnataka Government offered free of cost land of more than 100 acres and also contributed a huge sum of Rs. 30 lacs for the establishment of the Banglore campus. The school is autonomous and it works under the guidelines of Ministry of Human Resource and Development, Government of India.
- It offers several Post Graduate programs, a doctoral and a wide range of executive training programs. Besides its main academic programs it also offers consultant services, conducts several seminars and facilitates various research
- The current campus located at Bannerghatta road, a 100-acre oasis in south Bangalore was designed by architect B. V. Doshi and was completed in 1983
- IIMB also has collaboration with various foreign universities. The International Masters Programme in Practising Management (IMPM), an international collaborative executive education programme jointly offered by IIMB with INSEAD, McGill University, Lancaster University and a consortium of Japanese universities is globally recognised as a major innovation in executive education
- IIM Bangalore is renowned for its placements. More than 100 companies across the globe visit the campus every year for summers and final placements. The placement processes are governed by the Career Development Services and facilitated by the Placement Committee
- IIM B has an vast network of partner B schools for student exchange programs. Some of these institutes are-
• Australian School of Business, Australia
• Queen's School of Business, Queen's University, Canada
• European Business School, Oestrich-Winkel, Germany
• University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
• Asian Institute of Management, Philippines
• University of Wales, Cardiff, United Kingdom
• Booth School of Business, University of Chicago, United States
Academic Overview: The institute provides great scope for the students to go for a course which they find the most suitable. It has a number of exceptional centers of education like:
- NS Raghavan Center for Entrepreneurial Learning – The center has received a one tome grant of USD $150 million from the Global Internet Ventures (GIV) which is a USA based center for sheltering in its land, the incubator
- Center for Corporate Governance and Citizenship – The National Foundation for Corporate Governance which is a Government sponsored Trust, has accredited it as a Center of Excellence
- Center for Public Policy – It has been chosen as a Center of Excellence by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and the Ministry of Urban Development
Extracurricular: IIMB has various clubs and committees which organize different activities such as cultural, academic and regarding placements. It also has a student council which basically works like a link between Institute administration and student body. Some important clubs and committees are as follows:
- Alumni Committee for alumni affairs.
- Cultural Committee for cultural activities including Unmaad.
- Exchange Committee for students exchange program.
- MARS for merchandising and retailing.
- HMC for hostel and mess council.
Besides all these there are several other mini clubs and societies which help students in various academic and placement activities
Placement Statistics: The placements reaffirm IIM Bangalore’s status as one of the two or three pre-eminent B schools in India. Here is the report with all the details-
Number of students registered
No. of Companies Visited
No. of offers made
Pre Placement Offers (PPOs)
Most Popular Domains
Consulting and BFSI
Sector wise top recruiters were as following-
Banking and Finance
Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Deutsche Bank, Nomura, RBS, Bank of America, HSBC, Standard Chartered, Citibank, RBS, American Express, Kotak Mahindra, Axis Bank, ICICI, HDFC etc.
Consulting and General Management
McKinsey, BCG, Bain, Booz &Co, AT Kearney, Roland Berger, PRTM and Accenture Management Consulting, TAS, Aditya Birla Group, Reliance Industries, GE, Siemens, L&T etc.
P&G, HUL, ITC, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Mondelez, Reckitt Benckiser etc.
Technology, E-commerce and Media
Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Samsung, Amazon, Samsung, Flipkart, Jabong, LinkedIn etc.
Pharma and Others
Johnson & Johnson, Cipla, Ranbaxy, and Indegene Lifesystems, Lodha Group etc.
Facilities: With such amazing features, the institute even boasts of even more wonderful facilities it has made available for all the staff and students in the campus. Some notable ones are mentioned below-
IIMB provides superior accommodation facilities to all the members.
The institute has 16 hostel blocks having separate hostel facilities for men and women.
Single rooms are available in the hostels with uninterrupted power and water supply and internet access for 24 hours is also available along with washing machines, music room etc.
Facilities like ironing and laundry too are provided in the hostels and intercom facility is also there linked to the institute intercom.
Three STD/ISD phone booths, shop, a student run library, music club etc are some other features of the institute hostels.
IIM-B has its library comprising of different sections and having a huge area.
It has a reading area which has the capacity to accommodate more than 200 students and is open for most days barring national holidays.
The library has of a collection of more than 2 lakh printed materials including books, back volume journals etc.
It has access to 72 e-resources and e-books amount to 884 and subscription of 2330 printed journals and e-journals is also with the library.
The institute has one of the finest computing infrastructure with 24 hour Internet connectivity and 600+ PCs and workstations. The campus is also fully WiFi enabled.
The sports infrastructure is outstanding in the institute providing all kinds of sports facilities to the students
Football, cricket, tennis, basketball, volleyball, badminton and so on are the facilities that the institute provides to the students.
A swimming pool with an integrated indoor sports complex is under construction.
- Vista: Vista is an annual, international business summit hosted by IIM Bangalore. The three-day summit brings together leaders from the fields of marketing, finance, operations, human resources, consulting and social work. This annual international business meeting of IIMB holds a distinct place of pride among the IIMB community.
- Eximius: It is the Entrepreneurship Summit of IIM Bangalore.
- Unmaad: Unmaad is the annual cultural extravaganza of IIMB, a three day festival that is conducted in December-January. Unmaad, in the past, has always been a must-attend cultural festival, with plenty of competitions to whet every palate. Participants from every school in the country will be among the 30,000 who attend the three-day festival, to participate in music, dramatics, dance, fine arts and literary events.
There are a great number of scholarships being awarded to the students of the institute based on certain criteria. The various scholarships are:
- Aditya Birla Scholarship
- Uday Nayak Scholarship
- T Thomas Scholarship
- OPJEMS Scholarship
- Rajesh Kaushik Memorial Scholarship
- Societe Generale Global Solution Center India Scholarship
- Community Service Award
- Ocwen Scholarship for Competence in Academics and Research (OSCAR)
- Cognizant Technology Solutions – B’izard Scholarship