About the collegeJamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS)
is the Department of Management Studies of the University of Mumbai, named after famous industrialist and philanthropist, Jamnalal Bajaj. Known for its post-graduate management program the department was set up in 1965 by the University of Mumbai in association with the Graduate School of Business, Stanford University. The institute is accredited by AICTE.
- JBIMS offers 2 years full time Masters in Management Studies in different specializations which is its flagship program. Except this it offers 3 years part time degree courses, doctoral program in management studies and 2 years full time Masters of Science in finance.
- JBIMS is ranked among the top 10 business schools in India and rated the top 25 among business schools in the Asia-Pacific region.
- JBIMS is situated at Nariman Piont in the commercial hub of the country, Mumbai and this is an advantage to the institute. Students can avail the opportunity of being near the biggest corporate names by frequent industry interactions and workshops organized for them to hone their business acumen.
- JBIMS organizes international research conference for ensuring the financial growth of the country. The theme of the 2013 conference was ‘Nurturing the present, Innovating the future’.
Alumni: JBIMS produced many illustrious names for the corporate world.Some notable alumni of the college are-
- Noshir Kaka, Managing Director of McKinsey & Company, India
- Ashish Bajaj, Global Head of Product Development for Commercial Banking of Citi Bank
- Kaustubh Shukla, CEO of Godrej & Boyce Manufacturing Ltd.
- Rohit Narang, Executive Director of Goldman Sachs
- Shruti Bajpai, Country Head of HBO
- Chanda Kochhar, Managing Director & CEO, ICICI Bank, India
- Ravi Chaturvedi, former Group CEO of Jet Airways (India) Ltd.
- Uday Kotak, (Chairman and Managing Director), Kotak Mahindra Bank, India.
Extracurricular: JBIMS being one of the premier institutes of Management in the country not only focuses on the studies but also puts stress on the various extracurricular and co-curricular activities that the students can actively participate in. This has resulted in the establishment of 3 clubs namely:
- The Finance Club: It provides a public platform for faculty members, authorities from commercial world and scholars to explore into the constantly evolving world of finance.
- The Consulting Club: A student-run, faculty-guided student body whose objective is to facilitate the student community at JBIMS with the essential tools to secure professional opportunities in strategy consulting and management.
- Marketing Club: The Marketing Club aims at implanting the poignant interests of the students towards the talent and excitement of the marketing world. The club also manages an online monthly magazine ‘baCzar’ which aims to cover all the subjects related to marketing.
Placement Description: JBIMS has a good track record in the placements. In 2014 JBIMS continues to feature on top in the list of must visit campuses for recruiters. Some prestigious companies of their respective fields like BFSI, FMCG & Consulting etc recruited students in diverse profiles with handsome package. The comparison between last two year’s placement highlights is given below-
Total Number of visiting companies
INR 15.32 LPA
INR 16.18 LPA
INR 26 LPA
INR 26 LPA
Total number of PPOs
Infrastructure- Library: With a collection of over 40,000 books adding thousands of journals and theses, the library is considered one of the best in town. The library consists of following:
- Books- 38762
- Journals- 116 (50 foreign, 45 Indian & 21 exchange)
- Bound Journals- 8657
- Special collection- Thesis of Ph.D. students, Classical books on management.
Festivals/Events: The key events of the institute are the following-
- Strategym: It is the annual business convention of JBIMS. Strategym provides students with a platform to apply their knowledge and insight to relevant industry problems.
- Nostalgia: It is the celebration of achievements of JBIMS alumni.
- Prayag: It is the annual inter B-school festival.
- Comflu-E-nce: It is the annual entrepreneur ship summit of JBIMS. It consists of panel discussions and guest lectures by notable entrepreneurs.
- Samanvay: It is annual corporate symposium of JBIMS.
Ranking: JBIMS has been ranked among top B-schools of India over the years by prestigious educational magazines.
• Ranked 10th by Business India
• Ranked 7th by Business Today
• Ranked 8th by Outlook
Scholarship: Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit and needs. Scholarships are awarded under the various categories of University of Mumbai, like The Late Shri Mohan Lal Tannan Scholarship.