About the collegeNational Law School of India University
, the first Law University of India was established in 29th
August 1987 by the Karnataka Legislative Assembly for undergraduate and graduate legal education in India. Its various activities and courses offered and the various laurels it has won across the globe are amply dealt with in the prospectus and other official literature. NLSIU has a campus spread over 23 acres in idyllic setting.
- National Law School of India University (NLSIU) is the first Indian University, established exclusively for legal studies and research
- The NLSIU has a well-developed research centers in Juvenile Justice, Intellectual Property Rights, Environmental Law, Women and the Law, Child and the Law, Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy
The Law School has undertaken many research projects funded by the UGC, the Government of India, the Government of Karnataka, the Department of Women and Child Development, the UN agencies, the World Bank, HIVOS.
The National Law School has exchange programmes with the National University of Singapore, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Canada and Buceuius Law School, Germany. This has facilitated exchange of ideas and culture between not only the law schools but also the countries..
- The Student Bar Association (SBA): The SBA shall comprise of the full-time students of the University who may meet as a General Body in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution
- Legal Services Clinic: The LSC also hold legal literacy programmes and is in the process of setting up a mediation centre right on campus for the use of the public
- Law and Technology
- Cultural Committee: Committee in charge of conducting cultural events in college and in charge of selecting the university teams for cultural events
- Literary & Debating Society: Committee in charge of conducting Literary & Debating events in college and in charge of selecting the university teams for literary and debating events
- Law and Technology
- Moot Court Society
- Law & Society
- Student Advocate Committee
- European Rounds International Student Conference on IT Security for next generation, on “Conflict of Laws in Cyberspace: A need to Overhaul Legal Regime” at University of East London, London, UK
- International SAARC Conference on “Resolving Dichotomy between TRIPS and Right to Health. The SAARC Experience with special reference to India and Sri Lanka”, at NALSAR, Hyderabad
- Consilience 2013 a Conference on “Data Protection & Cyber Security in India”, 2013 at National Law School of India University, Bangalore
- “Patent and Copyright Law in India: Emerging Issues”, 2012 at National Law School of India University, Bangalore
- Library: The library is the ‘heart’ of any academic institution and plays an important role in all academic activities and, the more so, in law institutions. Known as Sri Narayana Rao Memorial National Law Library, its establishment was generously assisted through the munificence of Mrs. Sudha Narayanamurthy of INFOSYS
Back Volumes of Journals & Subscription
- Hostels: There are three Halls of Residence for men known by the names Ganga, Cauvery and Himalaya and three Halls of Residence for women known as Nilgiris, Annexe and Mess Block. In addition there are two P.G. Women’s Hostels
- International Training Centre: A well equipped International Training Centre, with residential facilities for organizing training programmes, was inaugurated by the Hon’ble Chief Justice Mr. Lahoti on 28th August, 2005. The Training Centre is under the supervision of a care taker who is responsible for providing the facilities at the Centre without any deficiency in service. Several Training Programmes have been successfully conducted at this premises
- LeGala: LeGala is Law School’s annual inter-collegiate cultural fest. It attracts participation from colleges all over Bangalore as well as out-station teams for events like quizzing, music, theatre and dance.
- Strawberry Fields: Strawberry Fields is India’s largest student-organised rock show and is held concurrently with LeGala. The last few editions had more than 40 participating bands from all over South Asia and crowds in excess of 10,000
- Spiritus: Spiritus is an annual sports festival that draws participation from law colleges all over India. It is hosted by the Sports Committee of the SBA in collaboration with the Sports Authority of India (SAI)
- The team consisting of Mr. Harshvardhan Goel (III Year), Ms. Priyanka Madan (V Year) and Ms. Mansi Sood (V Year) won the International ADR Mooting Competition organized by City University of Hong Kong, China, International Economic & Trade Arbitration Commission, Columbia Law School and UNCITRAL,held in Hong Kong from 28th July to 2nd August., 2014
- Ms. Jyoti Maheshwari (ID 1723) has been selected for the prestigious Young India Fellowship 2014-2015, where only 200 students from various disciplines are selected from all over the country, including the NRI students
- 7th April, 2013 NLSIU team consisting of Raag Yadav, Akshaya Ramdurai, Geeta Hariharan and Shreya Jain has won the finals of Jessup Moot Court Competition defeating Singapore Management University (SMU)
- NLSIU is ranked at 1st amongst the top ten Low Colleges of India (Source : Outlook 2011)
- NLSIU is ranked at 1st amongst the top ten Low Colleges of India (Source : Mint 2011)
- NLSIU is ranked at 1st amongst the top ten Low Colleges of India (Source : India Today 2012)
- NLSIU is ranked at 2nd amongst the top ten Low Colleges of India (Source : India Today 2013)
- The Shankaramma Memorial Trust Scholarship: This scholarship of the value of Rs. 500/- per month is awarded every year to two or more students preferably from Andhra Pradesh who has been admitted to the B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) / LL.M. courses of the NLSIU.
- Justice Venkataswamy, Mrs. & Mr. Mariappa Gowda and Mrs .& Mr. B. Narayan Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to a highly deserving student of NLSIU towards his/her boarding/ lodging charges in the University
- Late Justice B. Vasudevamurthy scholarship: This is awarded to deserving and meritorious student who is not otherwise able to join this University due to economic conditions
- Hemant Narichania Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to II and III year meritorious students of B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) from lower socio-economic strata of society
- The Lalit Bhasin Scholarship
- Sam Byramji Nariman Scholarship