About the collegeUniversity college of Medical Sciences
, popularly known as UCMS, recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI), was established in 1971. The classes began in the Department of Chemistry in Delhi University, North Campus, by the constant efforts made by the Health Ministry of Delhi. It had its clinical postings at Meerut Medical College, which later shifted to Safdarjung Hospital and finally it is associate with Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital
- The hospital was established in 1979 with more than 1500 bed capacity
- The college along with the hospital is located in Dilshad Garden, Delhi
- The college offers many medical and paramedical courses
- Every year 150 students are enrolled in MBBS program ad 71 students in MD/MS course
- The college along with Maulana Azad Medical College and Lady Hardinge Medical College - forms the triangle of Medical Institutes affiliated to the University Of Delhi
- The institute is a Network Centre for the National Brain Research Centre
- The college is the Nodal Centre for AIDS and Safdarjung Hospitals
- It is of the three Public Trauma centre in Delhi in addition to Susruta Trauma Centre, Jai Prakash Narayana Trauma Centre at AIIMS
- The college is fully equipped with Burns Ward
There is a central library and 17 departmental libraries in the college premises. The collection comprises mainly books, journals, theses, CDs, e-Journals etc. The library offers various facilities such as Membership, borrowing, reference, referral, photocopying, internet facility etc. The reading room is available at every hour of the day. The collection figures taken recently are as followed:
Books & WHO publications
Current journals (foreign +Indian)
e-Journals (free with print subscription)
Back volume of journals
Reports & pamphlets
'Residential Campus' UCMS and GTBH
The college has hostel facilities for both boys and girls. It also has additional residential facilities for staff members. Some of the mentioned residential locations for staff people are as followed:
- Junior Resident Hostel
- Nurses Hostel
- Senior Resident Hostel
- Flats for Teachers and Professors
- Flats for Workers
- Official residence for MS and Principal
The college premise has large lecture halls which are fully sir conditioned with audio visual facilities.
- The seating capacity of each hall is 90 with a side room and a projection room
- There is a examination hall with seating capacity of 170 with aside room
- Audio amplifying system including audio mixers and speakers with cord and cordless mikes (collar & hand mikes)
- Projection facilities including motorized screens, overhead projectors, LCD projectors, DVD player and laptops for PowerPoint presentations
- Telemedicine facility for video-conferencing. It can be linked to several institutions as well as to our primary health centres and is useful for academic, research and health services
The college is provided with sports and gym facilities for the sports enthusiasts.
Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital Facilities
- Out Patient Clinics (Outpatient department or OPD)
- Critical care
- Specialist care
- Imaging services
- Medico legal aid
- Laboratory services
- Nodal Centre under National Programs
- Teaching facilities
- Examination services
The college celebrates its annual sports festival named, Arena, in which both intra – and inter- college championships are held. The College also organize hard ball and cricket tournament.
1st and 2nd Prize
1st and 2nd Prize
Medicomasti– It is the youth festival at the Perfect Health Mela organised by the Heart Care Foudation of India and MTNL.
Ripple (UCMS)- Ripple is the annual cultural, literary and sports festival of University College of Medical Sciences. It is organized in the second week of March each year for four days. People from MAMC, LHMC, VMMC, other Delhi University colleges, IIT and Indraprastha University colleges come and participate in the events. The complete budget of the festival is raised from College Cultural Fund and various sponsors. This festival has many events which are classified in the domains specified:
- Cultural events: It consists of various activities like dance, stage plays, street plays, fashion shows etc.
- Literary Events (LITCAFE') : Literary society of UCMS "Apokalypto" organizes various literary events like Hindi & English debate, Medical quiz, GK quiz, Cricket quiz, Just one minute, Poster presentation etc.
- Sports events (ARENA): This includes all the sports activity events like cricket, football, table tennis, Chess, carom, Volleyball etc.
- Mega events: It consists of two star nights with prominent national celebrity singers, Rain dance and DJ party each evening. Some of the prominent personalities who visited the campus include Shibani Kashyap, Mika Singh, Jal band, Strings band, KK, Vishal-Shekhar, Ashok Masti etc
Avalanche UCMS- It is the annual autumn cultural, literary and sports festival of University College of Medical Sciences . It is organized in the last week of September each year for two days. This festival is exactly similar to the Ripple which s organized annually. All the activities and domains remains the same and the same fun is there.
- Ranked 7th in the nation based.
- It is considered to be the 3rd highest ranked medical college in the country
- It is the 2nd most sought after college through the AIPMT examination.
- In 2013 India Today Rankings, it was ranked 11th among medical colleges in India
- Outlook India also ranked this college at 12th position in 2012
- India Today Survey 2011 - All India Medical College Rank - 3rd (Overall)
- India Today Survey 2010 - All India Medical College Rank - 2nd (Factual) and 11th (Overall)
- India Today Survey 2009 - All India Medical College Rank - 5th (Factual) and 11th (Overall)
- Outlook Survey 2007 - All India Ranks - 5th (biomedical research)
Medals and Awards:
- Delhi Medical Association Gold Medal
- Smt. Ram Pyari and Shri L.N. Chugh Memorial Medal - Awarded to student fortifying the highest marks at the College level in Medicine.
- Major (Dr.) Ashwani Kumar Kanva, V.S.M., Memorial Award - Awarded to the student who tops in the College in the subject of P.S.M. at Final M.B.B.S.
- Major (Dr.) Ashwani Kumar Kanva , V.S.M. Memorial Awar
- Col. Barkat Narain Medal/Prize .
- Dr. Abhijeet Malhotra Memorial Award
- Kanahya Lal Gulati Award
- Ram Chand Dua Award
- Post Metric Scholarship of Scheduled castes students
- Saraswati Foundation Endowment Scholarship : Rs. 2000 per month on merit basis
- V.C. Student’s Fund : Rs. 200 per month to needy students on merit basis
- Dr. A.N. Duggal Endowment Scholarship : Rs. 100 per month to needy students on merit basis
- NCERT Scholarship : Rs. 200 per month on academic progress to financial challenged students
- National Merit Scholarship: Rs. 1000 to 2000 per month on merit basis
- Dr. N.C. Kapoor Memorial Scholarship : Rs. 300 per month on meritorious and financial basis
- S.J. Jindal Trust
- Indian Oil Company Scholarship : Rs. 750 per month for SC/ST students
- CBSE merit Scholarship